Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Shooting and Morale View next topic
View previous topic
Wellington

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

4 Ratings

Green 6+
Average 5+
Crack 4+
Elite 3+

When firing you roll using YOUR units experience rating. Modifiers are as follows...

When rolling

+1 Resting Rifles
+1 Non Moving Line Fires
+1 Firing From High Ground
+2 VS Column or Flank
-1 VS open order
-1 VS Soft Cover
-2 VS Hard Cover
-2 VS Entrentchments

we can also just use 3 ratings instead....

For morale

To pass morale, you must roll the number indicated or higher on a d6.

Green 5+
Average 4+
Crack 3+
Elite 2+

Modifiers

+1 if in Hard Cover
+2 If commander is with battalion
-1 Flank Attack
-2 Rear Attack

Morale is rolled for the following situations

1. A unit is fired at for the First time
2. Lost Melee
3. Unit Retreats within 6" of another unit
4. Command stand for battalion is lost
5. Unit has taken 50% casualties

Just some ideas...

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would not like to see so many more modifiers than the existing FoW makes use of.

I would, however, like to see four levels of Skill & Motivation ... as I would in the original WW2 version of FoW ...

Conscript 5+
Trained 4+
Veteran 3+
Elite 2+

Reluctant 5+
Cautious 4+
Confident 3+
Fearless 2+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can see where your coming at with the Not so many modifiers. This would just add more realism to the game, some of them could and maybe should be takin out such as resting rifles (even though that could be really important).

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods
HobbyDr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wellington wrote:
I can see where your coming at with the Not so many modifiers. This would just add more realism to the game, some of them could and maybe should be takin out such as resting rifles (even though that could be really important).

I think we could cover 'resting rifles' with Veteran or Elite and Confident or Fearless depending on nationality.

Don

Wellington

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HobbyDr wrote:
Wellington wrote:

I think we could cover 'resting rifles' with Veteran or Elite and Confident or Fearless depending on nationality.

Don

Yeah, But anyone resting rifles on a fence, stone wall or something or other would make it easier for them to shoot. Not really a special ability..

Grognard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wellington wrote:

Morale is rolled for the following situations

1. A unit is fired at for the First time
2. Lost Melee
3. Unit Retreats within 6" of another unit
4. Command stand for battalion is lost
5. Unit has taken 50% casualties

1. For green militia and some conscripts, maybe.

5. 50% is a horrendous amount of casualties for a Napoleonic battalion to withstand.
Wellington

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats what I was thinking as well after I looked at my post. Maybe get rid of first time fired at as well, but every base lost roll morale. And instead of them being destoryed there should be a roll to see what they do....

1-3= Fall Back 1d6 inches
4-5= Fall Back 2d6 inches
6= Unit Routs off Board (is destoryed)

richhamilton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I very much agree that a units skill level should determine its ability to hit the target it is aiming at as I think this is the simplist way to reflect Napoleonic warfare. I also like the four level of skill and motavation as I think this also well represents the variety of units available.

Skill Level:
Conscript 5+
Trained 4+
Veteran 3+
Elite 2+

Modifiers should be closer to FoW:
+1 for being in Cover
+1 for a unit with ROF 1 moving
+1 for being GTG
+1 for being in Open Order (this will apply mostly to skirmishers)

Motavation:
Reluctant 5+
Cautious 4+
Confident 3+
Fearless 2+

When to roll I think only needs to be as follows:
1. When a unit takes a casuality
2. When a unity within 6" breaks/fails motavations test and falls back/leaves the field
3. When facing a cavalry charge
4. When a unit loses its command stand

I question if a unit facing any kind of charge should make a morale roll or if that should just be a special rule for certain types of units like units rated as Militia.

Higher Command teams should give a reroll.

I like the idea that units that fail motavation don't just leave the battlefield but I think it should just be that the unit must makes a normal move away from all enemy teams and is disordered/broken until rallied. If a broken/disordered unit fails a motavation test then it leaves the battlefield.

You could than address an issue by saying that after an assualt is resolved the units are in disorder/broken and there fore if they fail a motavation test as a result of an assualt casuality than they leave the battlefield. This would make assualts really important as you would only have to break a unit once instead of twice to defeat it.

Anyway just some thoughts on the matter:) Forgive the poor spelling writing in a hurry;)

Rich
brevet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would not give them a 1+ for cover to me it does not sound like it fits unless you are marching through woods but that is just my opinian and as for gone to ground no way these chaps wore pretty coloured uniforms with brass buttons and feathers in there caps didnt they how can they go to ground you have to admit I have a point how can those nasty redcoats go to ground Smile sargeant to leutenant look yonder sir the british are laying down do they not have the stomach for it any more i dont no sargeant perhaps there weary oh my god sargeant they are actually tying to hide tell the men to fix bayonets Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

brevet wrote:
I would not give them a 1+ for cover to me it does not sound like it fits unless you are marching through woods but that is just my opinian and as for gone to ground no way these chaps wore pretty coloured uniforms with brass buttons and feathers in there caps didnt they how can they go to ground you have to admit I have a point how can those nasty redcoats go to ground Smile sargeant to leutenant look yonder sir the british are laying down do they not have the stomach for it any more i dont no sargeant perhaps there weary oh my god sargeant they are actually tying to hide tell the men to fix bayonets Laughing Laughing Laughing

Funnily enough, Wellington often made use of cover, and sometimes gave orders for his men to lie down on the opposite side of a reverse slope, to cut down on casualties from Artillery fire! Seems that the French got a bit of a surprise when a formed Firing Line popped up at the top of a hill that they had been pounding with the guns for hours!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I also agree that units should be able to claim cover. Units should be able to claim cover when behind walls, ramparts, in trenches and ditches or behind hegdes or hedgerows.

Units should also be able to hide and surprise the opponent. Read the excerpt from Wikepedia on the the battle of Waterloo.

At about 13:30, d'Erlon started to advance his three other divisions, some 14,000 men over a front of about 1,000 metres (1,094 yd) against Wellington's weak left wing.[53] They faced 6,000 men: the first line consisted of the Dutch 2nd division, the second of British and Hanoverian troops under Sir Thomas Picton, who were lying down in dead ground behind the ridge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For the Gone to Ground I was thinking of Wellington ordering his men to lie down to protect them form bombardment, but they did not do this in the open of course so perhaps they should only be able to GTG if they are in cover which hiding behind a hill would be!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic