Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Then again, maybe not. View next topic
View previous topic
HobbyDr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For whatever reason, the Napoleonic bug has bit me again. I happened across a post that mentioned a new rules system called 'Lasalle'. It seemed interesting, and after a little research and some free downloads from it's website, I think this might be the game many of us are looking for. It is based on a core set of rules called "Honours" and 'Lasalle' is a tactical game with 4 or 6 bases making up a battalion. (For those wanting to fight on a larger scale, 'Blucher' will be released next, which will be a Grand Tactical game.) The size of the bases are what is most important (and the FOW bases work fine), as movement is based on base width. It can be played in any scale from 6mm to 28mm, and in any density. You can have one figure per base or 8 figures per base As long as you are consistant and they look good to you, you're OK. Anyway, I ordered the rulebook, along with a ton of figs, paints, and other books, and should have it in a couple of days. I'll let you know what I think of them then.

Don

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very interesting, Don. I've not heard of those rules and will have to look them up.

Then again, I am happy to say that Napoleonic Wars are in full swing here with my group again. Very happy to say, actually. In fact, I have my newly rebased Prussian army sitting right next to my elbow. I just spent the last two nights working on them and am looking forward to our next game (perhaps this weekend).

We're playing at the Army Wing or Army size. What I have sitting here is two corps with a few extra cavalry and artillery. The system we're pulling together is actually giving very pleasing results for us. We've still got some bugs to work out, but its going much more smoothly than ever before.

The important thing for me is that we're playing again. It took us all sitting down and looking at each other and saying something along the lines of "If we all love Napoleonic Wars more than everything else, then why do we keep expending our time and resources playing anything else?" It seems to have galvanized us and I am very pleased.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear you are still around, and have found rejuvenation, Dillingham. Your presence was missed.

I got the rules, and while I haven't gone over them with a magnifying glass yet, I think these are the ones for me. A battalion consists of 4 bases (6 for some French and Austrian ones) and the FOW medium base is perfect for infantry and cavalry. At first I had planned on six figures in one line per base (for a 24 figure battalion), but then felt that two lines of four figures (a 32 figure battalion) looked better. This is especially true when taking into account that a base will be a single battalion when Blücher is released. Three cavalry figure abreast for a twelve figure regiment looks imposing, too. As for artillery, well you can just squeeze a gun, facing the long side, on a medium base. Adding the gunner figures leaves it looking cramped. A gun facing the short side of a long base leaves plenty of room for the crew, but looks too large. A base 2" x 1½" (an FOW medium base is 2" x 1¼") works out pretty well. I'll just make some out of styrene.

One other thing I've done is design some graphics representing the infantry, cavalry, and artillery of the major combatants that I can print out on Avery stick-on labels. I know it may take a while before I have enough figures painted and based, so I will stick them on the bottom of the bases and practice my game just using them. And when the figures are installed, the label will identify the unit.

Be sure to take your camera to your next game and take plenty of pictures. (If anyone plays Russians, I'd like to see them.)

Don

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some pics are uploaded.
Ugh! I should have taken more shots of the Russians. Sorry.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic