Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Brunswick artillery Waterloo? View next topic
View previous topic
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi
Iam planning to purchase Brunswick foot and horse artillery from cgm shortly, (18mm). My questions are:
1. What size cannons should I use, 6 pounders only? or did the foot have a mix of 6 and 9 pounders?
2. how many guns per battery? I'm thinking along the lines of 4 guns per battery.
3. Should I have at less one howitzer per battery?
4. finally, should I use British cannon only or did they use captured French cannons?

Many thanks
Very Happy Steve
Figjam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sparks, here some info I got from the Histofig web site, its is very similar to Ospreys MAA series on the Brunswickers.

Infantry and Artillery 1809
Friederich Wilhelm of Brunswick (The Black Duke) went into an agreement with the Austrians, to form a corps to invade his former lands in an attempt to raise the people against their french overlords. The infantry was to consist of 1000 men, organized into 1 regiment, of 2 batallions, each with 4 companies. They also were provided with a horse artillery battery consisting of 2 7 pdr. howitzers, and 2 6 pdr. cannons.

The 1815 Campaign
After the first abdication the Black Duke was restored to power and set about rebuilding his army. By January 1815 the Brunswick forces consisted of the following:

The Avantgarde- original infantry of the black band, consisiting of 2 light companies, and 2 new jaeger companies
The Leib batallion- This was the "Life" or Life Guard battalion formed from a cadre of the old Black Band.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd Light Batallions, consisting of newly recruited troops.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd Line Batallions
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Reserve Infantry batallions.
Hussar regiment: Including a squadron of Uhlans(all newly raised as the old regiment was still in Brittish service)
1 Foot battery-8 Guns 190 men 1 Horse battery-8 Guns 230 men

The Brunswick artillery at Waterloo were probably similar to the British who had 5 cannon and 1 howizter to a battery. The British also had howitzer batteries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi FIgjam
Many thanks for the information Very Happy Will go wth 3 six pdrs. and 1 Howitzer.

Happy Easter
Steve

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic