Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Play testing? View next topic
View previous topic
JonasB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Battalion level:

A unit represents a battalion, which is in this scale roughly equal to a FOW platoon. For now, I suggest that a battalion should be made up of six companies which would equal six medium bases with 8-10 figures on each base. Companies must remain in base-to-base contact.

A company should be rate confident/trained for play testing purposes, and should be able to move 4” except when in column where it should move 6” (miccog). The range of the muskets should be 8” (Dillingham) with perhaps rof 2 up to half range, and rof 1 from half to maximum range (miccog). No move and fire. Lets try this out before fleshing the rules out, just to see if it is workable.

Anyone want to give it shot?

Jonas
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, I like it. I've been meaning to say that I think what we need most here is to have some actual miniatures to be glued on bases and pushed around the tabletop. That seems to be the next step for us.

I've based up a bunch of British and Prussians for the purposes of photographing, but I did it on the small bases and I want to redo it on the medium. I regret that I have just been waaaaaay too busy to work on this or drag a friend over to playtest it. I'm hoping (and trying to makes sure that) July is going to have a lot less responsibilities so that I can attend to this.

In the meantime, I did acquire some French figures that are ready to be rebased and pressed into service against my Prussians and British. I don't have a lot of figures for any of the three armies, but I think I've got enough to field the smaller end of what it sounds like we'd like to end up with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds good Dillingham,

I have been meaning to re-base (and not to mention paint) some French line infantry onto FOW medium bases, but being swamped at work lately, I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I’m looking forward to the results of your play testing. Smile

Jonas
Tadpoleon Blownapart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I too am way too busy to get as much time in on this project as I would like. I have some finished Austrians that I will be mounting on the medium bases to see what they look like and I hope to get some of my promised projects and postings done in July when I have some time off from work.

Steve

Much gratitude and thanks to the wizard of sigs: Dillingham
miccog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good ideas Jonas
OK so we are looking at 1 base = 1 company 6 companies operate as a battalion. The basic manoeuver element with which we can form into line, column, square etc. We can also model light and Gren. companies.
We should think about skirmishes
Movement
2" square 4" line 6" column
Musket range
up to 4" ROF 2per stand 4"= to 8" ROF 1 per stand
No fire and move
Can shoot and assault or move and assault
Assault range is 2" ?
Arty model is a section of 2 guns?
Cav? what is the cav equivalent to the inf company

A force is 4 Battalions 24 med. stands(192 figures at 8 figures per med. base)
1 brigade co base
3-4 gun sections
attached cav 3-4 bases
mic
JonasB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great miccog,

This looks good!

Concerning the cavalry:
How about having one medium base with 3-4 cavalry equal one squadron? If we at this stage define a cavalry regiment as having six squadrons, which would make it similar to an infantry battalion, and easier to deal with for play testing purposes. Or would that be too much cavalry?

Concerning skirmishers:
I’m unsure about how to model these. Ideally, I’d like to be able to remove the light company stand and replace it with “skirmishing stands” when skirmishers are deployed. The thing is that I’d also like to keep away from small bases for anything other than commanders, but the 9-10 figures from the light company wouldn’t convincingly fill more than 2-3 medium bases in skirmish order. Then again, I guess 3 medium bases with skirmishers in skirmish order could screen the five other companies pretty well if we allow them a 1” gap between the bases. If we then give them some sort of concealment modifier when in loose order, it might work. Ideas?

The rest I think is good enough for some play testing.

Jonas
Wellington

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Once we have the basic rules and some play testing done, I personally would like to play the game as 1:1. That is one of my favorite things about flames of war. If there is 6 guys on a base, that means that there is 6 guys. If there are 4 cannons that means there are 4 cannons. It also makes it easier to base rules around. What rules are you guys looking at using for play testing? I am thinking about using BOI. I hope this project gets done soon!

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic