Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Basing View next topic
View previous topic
dugal mcangus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would think some kind of consesus should be arrived at before we dub one of the founding conventions of the game as finally decided?

how about a poll, open for a week. with the majority of the voters deciding the outcome. you must post a message with your vote as well as vote in the poll (this will make sure everyone has only 1 vote)

as long as a person checks the message board once a week, they shouldn't miss out on any major decisions.

i know that i personally favor med sized bases over the small bases.
renleg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like a solid plan! So next dumb question how do we make a pole?
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Before we move on too far, I've finally done an example of 6mm basing ... or a suggestion, at least. These are on medium bases, so you can get an idea of what units would look like in 15mm too (just replace each strip of 6mm figs with two 15mm figures). Again, just a suggestion and, yes, I kind of feel like this is should be our first consensus item ... or at least that's what I'd personally like to see. Anyway, here's the 6mm basing suggestion ...

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A few more thoughts ...

I don't really like the attack column formation above. I think I'd rather see a column with a marker next to it. Only a certain number of formations can go into Attack Column anyway.

Also, if we do go with 1 FoW Platoon = 1 NapoFoW Division and 1 FoW Team = 1 NapoFoW Regiment (of about 16 figs); then I don't honestly think it really matters whether we use 4 small or 2 medium bases. They take up the same area.

Also thinking about skirmishers and have a couple of ideas on them ... either an additional medium base with 4 figs on it to place immediately in front of the regiment or two figs on a small base with 2" coherency.

Just some developing thoughts in my noggin.
renleg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would rather see a marker too. as for the skirmshers i still favour 2 small basses as they can be spread apart to gain a wider frontage. Other than that I love the platoon is a division that (visual aid) I would totaly vote for that.
Prussian Al

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

*hrms*

Have to say I prefer the 4 small bases over the 2 mediums, other than that, I like what I am seeing. Of course, majority rules. Smile
Scary Biscuts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To put my 2 cents in, Id have to agree that our original concept of 8 figs/medium base is the best Configuration. additionally, I think that the 2 medium bases organization for a brigade is the best due to its simple nature. Imagine trying to move an army of small stands?! That could take hours, and if there is nothing I cherish more about the FoW rules than the fact that the game is simple, clean and fast-paced. I would highly reccomend that we use Dillingham's original construct for the basic regiment.

Also, I feel 15mm is the scale we ought to focus on, rather than 6mm,... mainly because I have a ton of 15mm Napo's hanging about the apartment. Wink

A few thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In other rules systems where there are many small bases per brigade, it seems that a lot of time is spent moving the figures rather fighting the battle. My first choice is the larger base system first proposed.

To me, 15mm or 6mm is not an issue when it comes to basing. Many 6mm figs give a visual feel of mass on the base vs the larger immage of the 15mm figs. Assuming it is base removal for losses. Both scales work well in my opinion.

Steve

Much gratitude and thanks to the wizard of sigs: Dillingham
dugal mcangus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If most people use 15mm, that should be the scale we focus on, i've always felt that. It's just that i personally will be using 6mm and i would like to have the scale considered when rules are made. i put up some examples before where i thought there could be differences, but as long as the removal is by base then there are very few compatibility problems.

THANKS dillingham for the graphics, i like them a lot!
Prussian Al

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, Sounds like 2 medium bases is the way to go. Smile So, whats the basing convention going to be for skirmishers, cav, and arty then?
Tadpoleon Blownapart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a thought for starting the discussions:

Skirmishing; small base with 2 figures representing a skirmishing team

4 small bases = 1 medium base

Semi-skirmishing included? perhaps 4 figures on small base

2 small bases = 1 medium base

Cavalry: 3 or 4 figs on medium base (depending on how the figs fit?)

2 or 3 bases representing a regiment?

Artillery: medium base representing 3-4 guns per base? 2 or 3 bases to represent the battery? (Russians get 3 bases for the larger battery size)

all bases with wide edge to the front...

just some thoughts from a tired mind. ( was up till 4am with the wife watching romatic comedy movies....... Rolling Eyes )

Steve

Much gratitude and thanks to the wizard of sigs: Dillingham
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

small bases seem natural for skirmishers, but I think if we're going for ease of movement with medium bases, then a single medium base might work too. Its a thought and I'll do a diagram so that it can be seen what I'm thinking. I'm happy either way.

Honestly the only difference I see between small and medium bases is the RoF and removing casualties question. What is going to be the RoF for a brigade and how are we going to remove them as casualties. If its easy/clear enough, then we can just as easily allow medium bases as small bases depending on player preference. At least so long as playtesting is concerned (which seems to be what we're about anyway, as we hope someday FoW will make the final decision anyway).

Just some of my own thoughts, very briefly on it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*thinks*

Small for Skirmishers, Medium for Line. If we remove a base at a time, we need to look at how easy it will be to kill a base.

Dang.. thats a nice sig. Someday... someday... might be that good. Smile
Scary Biscuts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dunno if this is accurate, but it would ease the transition from regular FoW:

Medium Bases: RoF=2. (therefore a brigade would have a total RoF of 4, if we adopt the 2 stand formation)
Small Bases: RoF=1, but are never 'pinned down'

???

As for hit, there are a couple of ways we can go about this.

First, if a brigade has 2 medium bases as its composition, then naturally it could absorb 2 hits, lose one stand and then the other. As the brigade loses casualties it becomes less effective and therefore cannot enable the various formations afforded by the 2 stand unit. Im not a huge fan of this because if we say that a brigade has a RoF of 4 and 2 hits, it seems unlikely that a brigade could eliminate another at a rate of 2:1,... did I make any sense there? Smile

OR

We could adopt the "wound" system and assign a certian amount of hit points to each brigade (perhaps 4?). As they take hits the brigade loses these hit points until they reach zero and eliminating the brigade as an effective unit,...not that it would be considered 'destroyed' rather neutralized for the purpose of the game...

Thoughts?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scary Biscuts wrote:
Dunno if this is accurate, but it would ease the transition from regular FoW:

Medium Bases: RoF=2. (therefore a brigade would have a total RoF of 4, if we adopt the 2 stand formation)
Small Bases: RoF=1, but are never 'pinned down'

Not a bad idea at all m'thinks.

Scary Biscuts wrote:
As the brigade loses casualties it becomes less effective and therefore cannot enable the various formations afforded by the 2 stand unit. ... We could adopt the "wound" system and assign a certian amount of hit points to each brigade (perhaps 4?). As they take hits the brigade loses these hit points until they reach zero and eliminating the brigade as an effective unit,...

Just discussing this with an old Napoleonics friend of mine today. I don't like the idea of removing bases as it mucks up the ability to go into different formations. Rather I'd prefer to see something similar to this (wounds) maybe displayed with casualty caps until a regiment/brigade becomes a noneffective unit and is removed from play.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic