Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Getting figures ready to paint View next topic
View previous topic
Tadpoleon Blownapart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to get things started. I paint only 15mm figs and first clean them with a detergent to get the mold release stuff off the figures. Next is the cleaning and deflashing of the figures. Once done, I prefer Krylon white primer for the figures. I place the figures on their side on cardboard cut from an old box. Using the four corners method, I spray the figures evenly from each direction. This insures the majority of the figure gets primer coverage. Once dry, I then turn the figures over to spray the opposite side. I leave them to dry for at least a day to set the paint. Even light spraying paths work best as not to get too much primer on the figures.

Once dry, the figures are placed in wooden spring loaded clothespins for holding while painting. I use this way to get the undercutings and difficult to reach parts of the uniform. At most I work on 12 figures at a time as I am itching to get the unit ready for the gaming table and enjoy seeing the progress of the figures as they are completed. Wink

Much gratitude and thanks to the wizard of sigs: Dillingham
Nicofig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do like you. But when I must paint many figures, my undercoat is black and I do a drybrush white. After I paint the colors.
Wink
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Tadpoleon Blownapart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with the black coat/drybrush white except for the Austrians as I like to have them in bright white uniforms for my French to take better aim at Rolling Eyes

mrgeckocgs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello

This is my first post so HI

Black and White are both good, but I have found that a very happy medium works better.

I use a medium grey almost gun metal grey.

The reason for this is that the colors I use to paint the mini's still pop as opposed to when based with black making them appear darker and grungier, but the shading effect as well as makeing them look battle worn can still be accomplished as opposed to white making them look like the uniforms just came back from the cleaners.

Later

MrGeckoCGS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been using grey primer for grey greatcoats and then just detailing the remainder. Timesaver!

I found that auto primer works quite well and the local Lowes or Home Depot stores have 2 shades available; light and dark grey.

I will try the grey primer for other than greatcoat hordes to see how it works. Thanks for the info mrgeckocgs. Very Happy

Steve

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I admire (and envy) you guys who have the patience to paint Napoleonics. I just can't seem to do it in smaller than 28mm figures. I enjoy painting them at that scale, but only in the quantity of skirmish sized forces. I can paint armies of 15mm WW2 figures, but the whole turnbacks & cuffs & straps & etc. of Napoleonics in 15mm is just beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One easy way for painting is to get the figures in greatcoats pose where available to cut down on the needed detailing. This works to get an army on the field quickly (unless you paint as slow as I do) and you can add a unit that you like to the collection with the level of detailing you want as time permits.

Just a thought..... Smile

Sometimes the figures in greatcoats can wear multiple hats...

French line grenadiers can sometimes be used as Young Guard or Middle Guard. French line voltigeurs can also be used as Young Guard.

This gives you flexability is some ways to expand the usefullness of the painted troops.

There is always the Austrians....White primer and magic wash with a bit'o trim and you are done Very Happy Laughing

DwarfMan1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't do anything to wash my figs - just spray them with grey hardware store primer and get on with it.

May seem very unorthadox to some people, but it works for me!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not unorthodox to me, DwarfMan. I have to confess to not washing my figs first either. I'm no master painter, but I've not have it affect the paints adhering abilities at all ... and I usually don't even use a primer ... I usually start with a base coat spray of the prominent (or lightest if it is in large areas) color on the figure.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic