Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Who are you ? View next topic
View previous topic
Nicofig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi guys,
a classic on the forum : the presentation.

I begin : I am french and old player since 20 years Embarassed I am a History teacher in College. I play many, many napoleonics rules : Empire V, Ages of Eagles, De Bonaparte à Napoleon, I°Empire, Pour l'Empereur, Vive l'Empereur ...
I have some websites : for Fow ( http://flamesofwar.free.fr ) and for napoleonic ( http://napofig.free.fr )

I hope than the battlefront's choice will be for the napoleonic cause I think It will be a great new than we could have a great set of rules, funny with the BF marketing, and we can play all around the world in tournaments.

Very Happy
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
JonasB

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello everybody,

My name is Jonas, I am 33 years old, and I live in Oslo, Norway. I work as a university research fellow.

So what am I doing here? Well, though I haven’t yet played any Napoleonic wargames, I have played Warhammer and 40k since 1987, and have dabbled in a little Warmaster Ancients and FoW.

I am a big fan of history, and though my professional expertise is in the history of ancient religion, my hobby is military history. So far, I have been mostly interested in Ancient, Medieval, and WWII, but now I really want to start some Napoleonic wargaming.

However, I’m a little turned of by all the complex and highly abstracted rules out there, and applaud your efforts in making a tactical Napoleonic game based on the FoW. I love the scale suggestion of 1 base = 1 company, and I think that would make for a fast, fun, and tactically interesting Napoleonic game.

I was tinkering with adapting the WMA rules for Napoleonics, so currently my minis are 10mm scale, but I think they will work beautifully on the FoW bases.

See you around,

Jonas
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jason
Michigan (far North and West of Detroit)

I've been wargaming & painting miniatures since the mid 80's. It was sci-fi wargaming for a long time. I always fell for the misconception that the Napoleonic time period was silly and uninteresting ... until I was encouraged to investigate it by a few friends. I've been completely enthralled by the period ever since.

My miniature wargaming didn't become a regular mainstream thing until Flames of War was released. We'd played the occasional Empire V simulation before that, but it was really the FoW system that brought fun and a quick resolution to our wargaming experience. Now its almost the only miniature wargame I play.

I would love to see the FoW system applied to Napoleonics. It has always seemed that this period of wargaming really needs a truly enjoyable and quick paced system which provides a reasonably historical outcome - as I believe Flames of War does. This could make the genre accessible to a whole new group of people - as did Flames of War for the WW2 genre.

My favorite Napoleonic army is the British ... actually I'm a bit of an Anglophile admiring their military institutions since ancient times. I also really appreciate the Prussians (or Germans in other time periods) and they account for my largest Napoleonics army. I've grown in appreciation for the French, Austrians and Russians. I consider this an ongoing maturation as I continue to learn more about them. The whole period and all of its different factions have become a source of great inspiration for me.

My introduction to the Napoleonic era was, admitedly, Sean Bean's representation of Richard Sharpe - which led to excided explorations of teh entire Sharpe's series of books - which led to devouring the entire Hornblower series - which led to ongoing investigations into more academic Napoleonic books. I've not finished it yet, but so far one of my favorites is "With Canon, Musket and Sword" by Brent Nosworthy.

Anyway, that's me in a bit more than a nutshell. I hope I haven't bored you too terribly. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Steve Straub
Age 55
Sylvania, Ohio ( about 50 miles south of Detroit)
Factory worker for General Motors for 35 years
Hobby and Game Store owner for 8 years (sold it 2 years ago)

I started in the miniatures gaming hobby in 1974 when the local hobby shop carried the old "Wargamers Digest" magazine. I was hooked on WW2 and Napoleonics from the start. I mainly played Napoleonics once Empire rules came out from Version 1 through 5. I occasionally play American Civil War using Fire & Fury or Johnny Reb 3 rules. For the last 3 years I have devoted 95% of my time on Battlefront FOW rules and am on a quest to get EVERYTHING for mid and late war. It is now an obsession and I freely admit it. It will expand into early war as well. I also paint 15mm historical figures for commision but currently I have advance orders that will take me at least 5 years to complete. The profits from the painting allows me to pursue my need for more figures to paint..... Rolling Eyes

Sorry about the rambling, I need to get more figures so it is time to go Shocked

Much gratitude and thanks to the wizard of sigs: Dillingham

Last edited by Tadpoleon Blownapart on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sergyck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hello
My name is Sergio Perez. I´m from Madrid, Spain. 30 years old.
I´ve worked in differents job (construction, archaeological excavations, history teacher, stores... now I work in a labor, fiscal and countable consultant's office, in an online miniature shop that I am doing and in a wargames magazine that soon it will be published.

I play with miniatures wargames for approximately 6 years. I´m member of a club, El Ultimo Tercio, where I play FIre & Fury, Flames of War, Age of Reason, In the Name of Glory... El Ultimo Tercio also do the most importat event of miniatures wargames in Spain, with dioramas, stores, tournaments, open games...

We have a little problem in the club, there isn´t a napoleonic rules that it pleases at all and I hope this version of Flames of War be able to do it.

Excuse my english, I don´t speak it very well

Greetings

Sergio
Synicbast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

Peter Palmer here. 40 years old (as of yesterday) and a long time player/playetester for FoW. I've dabbled in napoleonics for a while but never really played regularly as I've not found a set of rules that appeals. I've got two armies painted and temporarily based for the old WRG 1685-1845 set in 15mm with approx 16-24 figures per batallion (1812 French and Russian armies from Borodino - the left flank of the french and the right of the Russian) totalling around 450 figures each including 4-5 units of 10-16 cavalry plus 10-12 artillery pieces per army.

As my armies are already painted I'd prefer to keep them based as battalions but I'd like to go in say bases of 8-12 figures so that two bases work for a full battalion. This means I can use them as regiments if need be for these rules. I'm quite okay with formation markers for things like square etc or very simple base groupings. I'd consider moving to 4 bases but want to keep the massed look of my armies hence the two rows of 4-6 figures per base.
DwarfMan1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

...Well, lets just say I am old. Rolling Eyes

I play Napoleonics, Flames of War, Flames of War Pacific, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Lord of the Rings SBG, Surface Action (WWII Naval) and some other odd things.

Been wargaming for a while and still going strong! I run a painting service as well...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey all,

I'm Ben Seib 19- 20 in January so a young'un. Found a love for the Napoleonic period almost 2 years ago now, got a tonne of books on Napoleon and his family and hte period in general. I play an online email based re-creation in which I play the Governor-General of Lombardy as Duke Ferdinand von Osterreich.

Been playing wargames since year 6 so over 10 years now (scary). Currently have Italian and Romanian FOW Armies (waiting for Polish EW), Confrontation- Dogs of War- a Lions warband, Imperial Guard in 40k and will soon be collecting an Empire army for the new Warhammer 7th ed. O and Warmachine- I'm very busy.

Never able to find someone interested in the period as much as I am- among friends, so never really played many napoleonic game systems, I have the rules for 'Shako' but have never played them, I'm using personal feeling for the rule set I made and the lists will no doubt change alot before a final product is produced.

Ben

Hey noobs, I'm going like, going like, Pwn you noobs. Cause I pwn you, I pwn like pretty hard and stuff right. I'm going to give you some spank, just like you're like Kyle and you suck arse at all the games you try to play.
laager50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi. I'm Mick and 50 (for my sins) and live in Essex England.
I have been into wargames for many years, but have not played properly for many a year now (due to space and time). I have many armies started but never finished (Fow,wh,nap's). I would like BH to take on naps' as their next main period, hopefully soon. I have just bought ' In the name of honour' rules and have just started painting up a French 1809 (wagram)army using AB figures (thing is I always stated I would never do french) and when the money arrives will do Austrian to match, followed by Russians for Borodino.
I am basing my figures 8 to a base with 1 base Gren, 1 base Volt,1 base fusil and 1 base with mtd off,eagle,sapper,drum and 3 fusil, as the ITNOG rules use 4 base per Battalion.
Wellington

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

Name:Evan
Interests: Flames of war, Warhammer, Paintball, Dungeons and Dragons.

I am a huge history dude (my dads at fault) so I study and read a lot of history books. I have always found napolianics to be EXTREMELY interesting to me, so I just printed of the Age of Victory rules on this site and am going to play test them with paper figs from www.juniorgeneral.org

Good Luck to you all!

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods
wayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

Name: Wayne
Job: Flames Of War website and other random stuff

I've actually been playing Napoleonics and other forms of 18th and 19th century wargames much longer than WWII. I have a Swedish 1813 army in 15mm and a huge pile of unpainted lead for French and Russian in 15mm and Russian in 28mm. Also have a slow progress Great Northern war project in 28mm, and have just started 18mm Crimea with a couple of guys from work. Guess what?, I'm doing the Russians. Shocked

Also have some unpainted SYW Russians in 28mm, I painted one battalion but sold that.

You know... from Battlefront...

Last edited by wayne on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
HobbyDr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Name: Don
Location: Paradise---- aka sunny Naples, Florida (Florida, where we make presidents.)

Hello everybody. I got started in this hobby when I bought some 25mm Hinchliffe Greeks and Persians in Dayton, Ohio, back in 1974 (still got'em). Not long after, 15mm started to become popular, and I fell in love with the Heritage line of miniatures. (Out of production for many years, but I still think are some of the finest minis ever made.) I stayed with Ancients and got their Punic War line. I still have a complete Republican Roman legion, as well as the opposing Cartheginian army.(Except for the elephants--- never got around to getting the elephants.) I then moved on to ACW, and after that, GHQ Moderns.

I resisted getting into Napoleonics for a long time, because it seemed that all the Napoleonic players were anal-retentive, argumentative A**holes. The only coverage of the period I read was in Military Modelling (as well as Scale Modelling--- I love the English perspective), and every month in the Letters section you had "Ney would never use that formation", and "Any idiot knows the proper color for the cuff piping is a half shade darker than the collar piping, except on Tuesdays in Portugal, when it's a third shade lighter", and "Yadda, Yadda, Yadda." Every 'French' player behaved like they were Napoleon. Then one day in the hobby shop, I ran across a pack of MiniFigs British Highlanders, and was hooked, though 95% of my other purchases were Heritage. I had a fairly sizable British force, and a larger Prussian one.

Well, marriage, a house, another house, a son, a foray into model railroading, a divorce, a change of jobs, a change of location, and a somewhat vagabond lifestyle all took a toll on my wargaming interests. For many years, my minis sat patiently in their Akro-Mills drawers. Then, not too many years ago, I was in a Barnes and Noble bookstore, and picked up a LoTR boxed set of minis and rules, and the game was afoot again. I found a LGS that carried more LoTR product, and while there was seduced into the dark pit that is... GW. One day, the owner of the LGS said, "Hey, check out this new line I'm carrying", and he proceded to show me some Battlefront Shermans. Suddenly the room brightened, my shackles fell off, and I was returned to the path of righteousness. It wasn't long after I discovered the FOW website, which led me, eventually, here. And thanks to e-Bay and mail order, I've added French to my collection, as well as some Russian. I am looking forward to actually doing something with them.

Well, that's me. Sorry if I was a little 'wordy'. You may have noticed I use a lot of commas and parenthesis--- as well as "---". I compound sentences like banks compound interest. If something I've written doesn't seem to make sense (which can be a fairly common occurence), re-read it faster and pretend I'm talking to you, which in actuallity is what I am doing. (Kind of like the way "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is funnier if you 'read' it with an English accent.)

Anyway...

Glad to be here. (After a double by-pass seven months ago, I'm glad to be anywhere.)

Don, the HobbyDr

Grognard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello everyone

Name: Ken
Napoleonic Interests: Corps and Army level games. Map based Campaigns.

I've been into Napoleonics heavily for over 20+ years now. The broadening of my research and extension of my Napoleonic research has been constant over that time, no matter what game system my local group had gravitated into over the years. Over that time I've collected and painted a large army for all of the major Continental powers. I also can field a good deal of Saxons, Wurttemburgers and Grand Duchy troops.

Since FoW came out, we've been heavily involved in operations in the Ostfront. I've been working independently on a Corps and Army level rules system over that entire time for Napoleonics. Not really FoW Nap, four bases equal a division, casualties are tallied rather than removing bases. Very quick, they have the feel of Empire, but you can finish an army level battle in 1.5 to 2 hours.

I suspect that the group will come back to Napoleonics some day. I've based my units so that they could stand up in any of the FoW variants here on the site. So whatever rule system we use, the small div scale everyone around here wants, or my own larger scale, I'll be all set for knocking heads around.
big-gazza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
finally made it over here from the FOW forum.

Like a few here Sharpe on TV got me interested in the books and from the books to the histroy. The TV stuff is good but not a patch in the books. Just don't get the scale.

Always been interested in starting naps gaming but never had the time. Lets see if you can change my mind.

Gazza
chawkes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

Chris here, made a jump following Dillinghams link and here I am. Ive been interested in doing Napoleonic type wargaming for a while and now a mate is interested (both of us are FOW players) this forum and its rules may be what we are looking for.

Im an Electronics Technician, 37 years old with wife and 3 kids. Played 40K since rogue trader but with the last couple of codexs going way to dumbed down for me the 40K stuff has gone into the box for a while. Play German Panzers, APzGren and US Inf for MW and British Armour for LW as well as started a Russion strelkovy coy.

Time to add some Napoleonic figures to the mix.

Chris

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic