Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 TMP mention View next topic
View previous topic
dugal mcangus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seems our group has generated some discussion on the TMP boards. They of course think we will fail miserably and that the FOW system won't work.

I put a little retort on their, hope I didn't overstep the bounds, but I had to say something.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=68681
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, I don't know. I didn't think it was all that negative. There were more positive posts than I anticipated from TMP. I expect detractors anyway. Heck, Flames of War itself has a long long list of detractors.

I'm sure we all have different agendas and goals from this fledgling little project, and I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone else ... but as for me ...

- I don't expect to revolutionize the Napoleonic Wargaming Hobby ...
- I don't expect to win approval from the old skool curmudgeons ...
- I certainly don't expect to write BattleFront's rules for them ...

I just want to have some way to enjoy my enthusiasm for the Napoleonic Period while making use of the very expensive, attractive and dormant figures I have and fitting it into my very full schedule. Secondarily, if it ends up making the Napoleonic Period more accessible to a group of wargamers whom it would not have previously been available to, then all the better! If part of this ends up in some far distant BattleFront rules set, that would just be unexpected gravy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It simply will not sail, at least no better than The Shako effect. The summit of tabletop war gaming is Naps. Unfortunately there is no simplification of this masterpiece in military history, unless preferring finger painting over Van Gough and/or Jackson Pollack(sp). It goes beyond the bounds of common sense to apply a Checkers format to Chess.

So recommended next, Oh I know, lets try a 40K format to Naps . . .

It's cute. They haven't even done the basing or most of the rules yet, but they've already sketched out the national bonuses, special rules, etc… Like "British Bulldog" or "French Elan," and so on.

Whoa, I just looked at some of the basing suggestions and the one that has three rank infantry formations being almost twice as deep as two rank and with half the frontage is a bit extreme. Seems to take the "Brits in line / Frogs in collumns" think a bit to far.

But if only Napoleon had Terminators at Leipzig – Oh wait a minute, now he dose . .

I wonder what type of background does the author have in the historical area to provide accurate supporting data? Or in the military area to understand the proper use of tactics, operational strategy and weapons effectiveness in order to design proper game mechanics?

Doesn't seem to encouraging.
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

various TMP posters wrote:
hi how many people are looking into these new rules . i think there great .

I never heard of them but would like to know more

suspect it would draw new players who are scared off by the complexity of the era.

Actually, I like the idea. Depending on whether the rules will catch the flavour of the era in an adequate way, I might get to field my 1/72 napoleonics at last.

Frankly anything that attracts new consumers to a product line [Napoleonics – books, figures, buildings etc] is a good thing.

I for one would love to see a FoW-style Nappies game.

NapoFoW · The Napoleonic Flames of War Group at yahoo.just starting ,but i like the rules so far .join up and have some input.wargaming is fun.

I like the idea. An entry-level, fun game with lots of fluff and gloss to enthuse new players. Rules that capture the flavour of the period, but not necessarily with absolute accuracy and detail. A primer guide to Napoleonics. And a subsequent base of new interest in the period, many of whom may gradually channel themselves into higher-accuracy rule-sets as time goes on.

nice pics,
well laid out pics…..organisation…..pics….
why not!!!!!!!

I got these rules when they were 1st posted on the flames site and we gave it a crack at the club. They r good fun, but we changed the cavalry rules abit to get them to work alittle better (for us). But it's now the pefered naps rules set for 3 of us at the club (we r the only 1's that play naps). give it a go.

If it brings people into the hobby of gaming and studying the Napoleonic conflicts that cannot be a bad thing ...
IMHO I want a game that can reach a conclusion within 2-4 hours, beyond that if it moves so slowly that tedium sets in then to me it has failed to meet my basic precept of gaming which is good reasonably quick fun for the participants which reaches a conclusion.

Though locally I can say that FoW got popular all by itself, without much of a hand from the historical gaming community.

If a FOW style rule set can entice even 5% of the "youngsters", into what old gits like myself consider the mainstream of the hobby, then GREAT.
Once they get the Napoleonic bug, can you really imagine them not wanting ...

There's plenty of good in there too. Don't let a few hecklers get'cha down Dugal. Smile

Even amongst the criticism, there is insight worth heeding. Of course some of it doesn't contribute a whit, but there are some comments and questions in there that can even be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

touche
renleg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hey if even one person comes out of that wanting to play or better yet help us then i say HEZAH!!
Tadpoleon Blownapart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thick skin needed for the dissenters voices.

When I want their opinion, I will give it to them!

We will build the system to suit our gaming needs and enjoyment for Napoleonics FOW. The dissenters and grumblers can just go away...and will.

Much gratitude and thanks to the wizard of sigs: Dillingham
Cherrybum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here, here, I say

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes

Just remember,

"The Pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their backs."

Oops ........ forget I said that.

In 12 mths time this system will either be pulling like a train or else everyone will be crouched behind closed doors furiously rebasing their troops.

What have you got to lose ..... Nothing

What have you got to gain ...... a lot of fun
Arice J

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cherrybum wrote:

In 12 mths time this system will either be pulling like a train or else everyone will be crouched behind closed doors furiously rebasing their troops.

What have you got to lose ..... Nothing

What have you got to gain ...... a lot of fun

Well said.

Now lets toss around some ideas in the other sub-forums.... Wink
DwarfMan1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally I think NapoFoW players should ignore the pessimists on TMP. Cool

Who cares what they think - As long as I am having fun with my mates playing in the Napoleonic period, I am happy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having TMP not liking your rules set is like having Grammaw not like your rock band. Cool

More or less a necessary condition for eventual success. Twisted Evil
HobbyDr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Dillingham that most of the TMP reaction was positive. The thing that struck me most was there was no general consensus as to what they considered the perfect Napoleonic ruleset. And if you look at the activity on their forum, it seems like they are wanting some stimulus as well. That only reinforces my belief that the genre is rife with opportunity. And I also believe that the FOW style of play doesn't have to mean we use FOW mechanics or bases, but rather we have a system that brings Napoleonics to the masses, rather than the 'scholars'.

The TMPers also didn't notice that this forum is not affiliated with BF or FOW. It is the culmination of hopes of strangers brought together as friends by a game system we love. And we hope the authors of that system can invent a Napoleonic game we will love as much.

Sometimes I think TMP gets a bad rap---- not all their members are evil. Wink In fact, most of them seem like guys we'd like to game with. Only a very small few are difficult. (The same could be said of members of a 'more familiar' forum.) We need all the members, and their input, that we can attract. I would hope some of those disquieted TMP members would join the discussion here, and possibly help make a difference.

Don

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL! So good to have you around now, Caesar. Smile
Nice to see a little more activity around here too. I was beginning to think my only companionship here was the spammers I was squashing on a daily basis.

So, Don, is it quiet over there? I wonder if its just a quiet time for the hobby in general right now ... or maybe just interweb forums in general? :shrugs:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dillingham wrote:

Thanks. I will try to behave, or at least, maintain the high moral standards that were typical of the late 1700's-early 1800's.
HobbyDr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Caesar wrote:
Dillingham wrote:

Thanks. I will try to behave, or at least, maintain the high moral standards that were typical of the late 1700's-early 1800's.

Hmmm, I just don't see you as a fop, Caesar. Too much scoundrel in you. Wink

Don

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic