Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Basing View next topic
View previous topic
General Laird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We play at brigade level but were working on divisonal with more points 5000pts roughly
i'd love to put battle report and pic on but at the moment our club is still developing armies and scenery www.cheltenhamwarchiefs.co.uk
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Nicofig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

we play in napow with the classic basing in France :

Infantry : 3 figures : 3 cm x 1.5 cm
Cavalry : 2 figures : 3 cm x 3 cm
artillery : 3cm x 4 cm

You have all informations here :
http://www.napow.fr

Very Happy
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
chawkes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally I prefer the larger bases with each medium base being a platoon with 3 platoons to a coy and 4 coy to a battalion plus a HQ stand. Gives lots of figures to play with (13 stands to a regiment) which is everyones real aim isnt it.

Chris
Wellington

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldl love lots of figures but the problem is that would get very costly, but I would be willing to do it. Another problem is that most guys on here dont dig the massive amounts of miniatures and thats fine with me, but I like to see tons of miniatures and not pretend. Very Happy

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods
chawkes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You know it doesn't mater how many miniatures are on the base as long as the base size is consistent and the players have agreement on what a certain size of base actually represents (Coy, BN, Regt etc). If I want 10 minis on a base and want to pay for it thats fine but if my opponent wants 4 minis on a base because thats what he is happy with then thats OK too (Look a bit odd on the table top though Wink ). Even bases can be whatever you want them to be. If we have a system that has layers. You could play with the same bases from coy level games through to corps all that changes is what the base represents. Am I getting to deep here?

Chris
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No not at all... Very Happy

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

chawkes wrote:
Even bases can be whatever you want them to be. If we have a system that has layers. You could play with the same bases from coy level games through to corps all that changes is what the base represents.

We've discussed much that very same idea here as well, Chris. The same miniatures could, it seems, be used for different scaled games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think we are all attracted to Napoleonics by the aesthetic appeal of the miniatures. Therefore, I think there has to be some consistency and convention to the number of figures per base. (Otherwise, we may as well as be playing a board game.) We can still have a sliding scale of 'a base can be a company, battalion, etc', but bases should be (basically) 4 figs vs 4 figs, 8 figs vs 8 figs....... x figs vs x figs.

Don

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When we were speaking of possibly using the same armies at different scales (ie. Division level games and Army level games) we had planned to use the same bases with the same number of figures on them. It would just be a difference of what each base represented in that game (and the basing wouldn't change).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, I totally agree with you. I was responding to a post Chawkes made farther up the page.

Don

cuckoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not pretty sure if I'm wasting time now. I didn't read all the post in this treat. Blame on me. Embarassed
We used for the basing the small-sized bases from FoW with six figures on it. This represents a company on our gaming. So four bases and 24 figures will be an infantry battalion. The long side of the small base shows to your opponent. Very Happy The sqare formation looks excellent, when you place the four bases together.
For the cav we took the medium bases and used four figures as well. The small side shows to your opponent now. Six bases and 24 figs will be represent a whole unit again. They can overlap an inf batt without problem when they attack.
For the art we used the large ones with one gun each and the count of gunners represent the size of the gun.(small, medium, heavy, siege)
What do you think?
Cheers Cuckoo
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cherrybum wrote:
liked the Fire & Fury concept of wearing "Brigades" down.

Scruff wrote:
Anyone familiar with the fire and fury sets of rules?

We could base our formations etc on that, but use fow medium bases.
So you have ??? elements making up a brigade.

I had a chance to play Fire & Fury last week and was wondering just a few of the same things... both the unit arrangement (which I noticed matched what I'd done with my British army basing) as well as the wearing down of those brigades and the orders (good order/distordered) phase too. I couldn't help but feel that they would be good things to consider.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Only problem with this is these rules have their own Napoleonic ruleset...Age of Eagles...

Very active yahoogroup and commercially available... Nice rule set even....Recommended...

Madcam.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to rebase my existing 18mm AB figures to NapFoW using the following organisations.

French
3 Line Infantry battalions
2 Light infantry battalions
2 units of Light cavalry one of 4 squadrons and one of 3 squadrons
2 units of Cuirassiers each of 4 squadrons
3 batteries of regimental/battalion artillery
1 battery of horse artillery
1 heavy battery

Austrian
8 Line Infantry battalions
2 Grenzer battalions
3 units of Light cavalry each of 4 squadrons
2 batteries of artillery
1 heavy battery

Can any one suggest what bases to use and how many figures per base?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Basing has been the main point of contention here, and the polls I made have not produced a clear favorite. However, this link http://forumnapofow.free.fr/viewtopic.php?t=186 to Evan's AB French in the Gallery forum may shed some light, at least for your French. It seems the six figures to a medium base is acceptable to most people.

French and Austrian, eh? Are you looking at fighting the early war, or later in 1813-14? Post some picks when you can.

Don

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic