Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Battalion-level OOBs View next topic
View previous topic
Rivers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm interested in creating my own battalion-level forces, but I can't find any info on composition or organization. I figure I'll make the mechanics similar to the Soviets in FoW with companies as the smallest operable force. To narrow down the search, I'm looking for the composition of a French Line Infantry Battalion, British Line Infantry Battalion, French Dragoon Squadron, and British Heavy Dragoon [what did the Brits call their cav. battalions???]

Thanks,
Rivers
BenS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've got a few books on French forces in particular but others as well. 3 companies was the basic but Russians and Austrians usually had 4 companies per Infantry Battalion

French

1 Grenadier Company
2 Line Companies
1 (optional) Light Company

British
1 Grenadier Company
2 Line Companies

Austrian

1 Grenadier Company
3 Line Companies
1 (optional) Jaeger Company (elite light infantry)

Hey noobs, I'm going like, going like, Pwn you noobs. Cause I pwn you, I pwn like pretty hard and stuff right. I'm going to give you some spank, just like you're like Kyle and you suck arse at all the games you try to play.
BenS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rivers, I'd say if you want to make a battalion list then look at some real OOBs that should have some info for you. Although I imagine they are more help at Brigade/Division level games.

Hey noobs, I'm going like, going like, Pwn you noobs. Cause I pwn you, I pwn like pretty hard and stuff right. I'm going to give you some spank, just like you're like Kyle and you suck arse at all the games you try to play.
DwarfMan1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The easiest thing to do is just take multiple companies. Idea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

French line battalions (and allies organised on the French model) had 6 companies. 1 x Voltigeur, 4 x Fusilier (line), 1 x Grenadier. Each coy had @120 men.

French Guard battalions had 4 companies of @200 men ea.

British line battalions had 10 companies. 1 x light, 8 x centre & 1 x Grenadier. Each coy had @60 men.

British Guards were organised the same but usally had @90 men per coy.

Russians had 4 companies per battalion. 3 x line & 1 x (1/2 light & 1/2 grenadier. Normally 200 men per coy.

Prussian, Austrian + other nations information is available if required.

Hope this helps.
Astronomican

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Battalion organisation depends on a given year for some countries.

e.g. French Line 1800-03 had 1 Grenadier and 8 Fusilier companies, changing in 1804 to 1 Grenadier, 1 Voltigeur, and 7 Fusilier companies, further changing in 1808 to 1 Grenadier, 1 Voltigeur, and 4 Fusilier companies.

Many of the German states who later joined the CotR followed the Prussian battalion organisation, some did change to the French organisation after joining the CotR.
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How many battalions would make up a Regiment??

http://minibattles.freeforums.org/portal.php Join this forum right now for miniature discussion for all periods
opsofficer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This also depends upon period and even regiment.

Wellington wrote:
How many battalions would make up a Regiment??
Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

:chuckle: Laughing "it depends" seems like such a common phrase when studying all things Napoleonic. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rivers wrote:
I'm interested in creating my own battalion-level forces, but I can't find any info on composition or organization. I figure I'll make the mechanics similar to the Soviets in FoW with companies as the smallest operable force. To narrow down the search, I'm looking for the composition of a French Line Infantry Battalion, British Line Infantry Battalion, French Dragoon Squadron, and British Heavy Dragoon [what did the Brits call their cav. battalions???]

Thanks,
Rivers

Typically, British regiments consisted of one or two battalions. However, in the case of a second battalion, it was usually a 'depot' battalion--- a force kept at home used to re-inforce the losses of the 'in theater' battalion. The composition of the battalion is as yoda explained:

Quote:
British line battalions had 10 companies. 1 x light, 8 x centre & 1 x Grenadier. Each coy had @60 men.

British Guards were organised the same but usally had @90 men per coy

In addition, the British utilized Rifle battalions, composed of just the eight center companies. As elite units, the Rifles were kept closer to full strength, with 80-100 men per company. The Rifles rarely fought as a battalion--- they were usually deployed in 2-4 company assignments.

There were no cavalry battalions. On paper, the British fielded regiments composed of four squadrons, though it was not unusual to see only two squadrons in the field. A typical squadron was made up of 120 troopers.

Don

Sharpe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Any time you look at OOB you have to be careful. Theoretical establishment was often way different from reality. For instance:

British battalion in theory had 10 companies each of 100 =1,000

On campaign battalions were rarely this large. By the end of 1811, only 9 of Wellington's battalions had more than 700 men, eleven had under 400. The Foot Guards were the only battalions consistantly near strength (seldom under 800 men.)

The British tended to allow battalions to become depleted where as the French used used draft recruits to keep numbers up.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have a look in here, you'll find orgs for most countries - a very useful site I use all the time for reference

http://web2.airmail.net/napoleon/NAPOLEON_FOREVER.html

cheers,

Evan
HobbyDr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great site, Evan. I don't know how I missed your post til now. I've added it to my favorites. Thanks

Don

Dillingham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, that is quite helpful!

It looks kind of familiar. I remember an old site that went down a long time ago that had similarly detailed information on several nations.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic