Napofow Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Basing View next topic
View previous topic
Figjam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

HobbyDr wrote:
French and Austrian, eh? Are you looking at fighting the early war, or later in 1813-14? Post some picks when you can.

Thank you for the info. I picked up some bases from a local store where they play FoW. I am interested in the Austrain campaigns of 1809. Eckmuhl in particular. My painting is not as good as what I have seen on the forum. If I do post any pics I will use a filter to obscure the detail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm no painter, either. That is why I have literally thousands of unpainted figures. Sometimes the excellent paint jobs we see on-line are inspirational, yet they can be discouraging at the same time--- "I can never do a paint job that good, so why try?" If you have the gumption to paint, no matter the quality, go ahead and post pictures. It just might encourage me to get off my butt and paint too. Wink

Don

Figjam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ideas for Basing.

The problem with basing all nationalities on the same base size with the same number of miniatures does not allow for the variation in battalion sizes, eg Austria with its large battalions, or variation in battalion numbers of companies, eg Britain with 10 companies and around 600 men to a battalion.

Using the Cheltenham Warchiefs rule modification I took the French as a datum point to establish the number of figures and bases. Using 6 companies, 4 companies of Fusiliers, 1 company of Voltigeurs and 1 company of Grenadiers, I used 6 figures per medium stand and 2 stands per company, a total of 72 figures per battalion. A ratio of 1:11.5.

Bavaria, Brunswick, Prussia and other nations with a battalion of around 500 - 600 men and 4 companies can follow the 6 figure to a stand and 2 stands to a company system, a total of 48 figures for a 4 company battalion.

Austria with larger battalions (1050 -1200), use 6 figures to a stand and 3 stands to a company. With 6 companies to a battalion that brings the total number of figure to 108.

Russia with over 800 men to a battalion and 4 companies to the battalion use 6 figures to a stand and 3 stand to a battalion, a total of 72 figures.

Britain is the odd one out as it used large numbers of companies (10) compared to other nations. Generally British Line battalions numbering around 600 men use 6 figures to a stand and 1 stand to a company, 10 companies to a battalion giving a total of 60 figure to a battalion. A British Guard battalion with 900 men to the battalion can use 4 figures to a stand and 2 stands to a company or base the Guards the same as the Line battalions.

For cavalry I have continued to use the same ratio (1:11.5) and France as the datum again.

French heavy cavalry regiment of around 800 troops divided into 4 squadrons, used 4 figures per large stands and 4 stands to a squadron, totalling 16 figures per squadron.
French Light cavalry used 3 figures to a large stand and 5 stands to a squadron, totalling 15 figures per squadron.

Austria uses the French basing system.

Bavaria and other nations with smaller regiments of around 400 - 600 and divided into 4 squadrons, so the basing is 3 stands of 4 figures per squadron for heavy cavalry and 4 stands of 3 figures for Light cavalry.

Russia had larger regiments but divided them into more squadrons, 5 for heavies and 10 for light. The basing for this is 3 stands of 4 figures per squadron for heavy cavalry and 4 stands of 3 figures for Light cavalry.

When working these figures out keep in mind that this is for a Brigade level combat with 2 to 4 infantry battalions supported by 1 -2 squadrons of cavalry. I used the Cheltenham Warchiefs Victory in the Ages: 1805 to 1815 with an estimated points value of 1500 .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Correction to my previous post. Drop off the 1500 points bit I was using something else when estimating army cost.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey chaps I believe battlefront should do a completely new range of bases smaller than the standard FOW bases it is after all going to be a new game so why tie it down to the same way FOW is played now I believe you should have new bases. Your skirmisher cavalry and skirmisher infantry would both benifit from a different size of base and I am not just saying this because I manufacture my own resin bases.
As I can hardly keep production up for my retailers now I dont want any more basing work . All I am saying is dont be to cheesed off if you have to rebase your armies because BF changes them to a new base style new game new base i certainly would change them if it was my project Smile Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic